I assume that The name Carpenter's Farm comes from the Carpenter family who could have lived and farmed there. The family name can be recorded in the village as far back as 1611.
Early records for Carpenter's Farm show 'Grace Wills apprenticed to Mr John Wilcocks gent for an estate called Carpenter's House in Husbandry in the Parish of Alphington 1797'.
A land tax record dated 1798 shows 'Revd H. (unreadable) for Carpenter's Mr R. Chown £2 3s ½d'.
The Alphington Tithe Map records three sites for houses, main farm house, residences to the side and a residence almost behind the main farm house. One more building which was posibly a barn has had been turned into residences. The land was recorded as an orchard behind the farm house owned by Mrs Pennell and occupied by Robert Lear. More land for Carpenter's Farm was situated on the opposite side of the road (Chudleigh Road) and once again the land owner was Mrs Pennell and was occupied by Robert Lear. This land was recorded as 'garden meadow/meadow'.
Records for the 1840s show Thomas Savone, a farmer, and his family living at the farm. Also Richard Monday and his family were recorded as residents.
The Alphington Survey of 1850 records Robert Lear at Carpenter's Farm and other records for the 1850s show Richard Lear, a farmer, as the residents. Robert Lear was christened at Shillingford St George on the 21st August 1810, his parents were John Lear and Grace nee Chown. Robert married Jane Blatchford at Alphington on 11th February 1837.
On the 9th November 1850 The Exeter and Plymouth Gazette recorded 'Sale at Auction property of Robert Lear Carpenter's Farm. Corn, hay, swedes and early turnips, mangold wurzel, grass etc. also two beautiful Guernsey heifers in calf rising three years, one black and tan yearling'.
In 1861 William B. Elliott a landed proprietor and four servants are recorded residing in the house. The servants were recorded as John Candy, his wife Elizabeth and two children Jane and William John.
In 1871 William Elliott was still residing in the house with the servants John, Elizabeth and William John Candy.
In 1881 John Candy, now a farmer of 10 acres, his wife and two sons were recorded as the residents. Revd. Edward J. G. Dupuis rector of Alphington was a lodger with his wife Sophia. They had a visitor, a maid and a sick nurse. Four cottages were also recorded as Carpenter's Cottages.
A sale poster dated 29th July 1889 for Carpenter's Farm shows a sale of furniture and a rick of hay.
Records for 1891 show Isaac Richards, a farmer, and his wife as the residents.
Leases for the farm are dated 1910 and in 1911 the residents are recorded as J. B. Wilcocks and his family and one servant.
Mrs F. Eakers purchased the farm in the 1920s and records for 1946 and 1949 records S. F. Eakers as the resident.
Copyright © Rowena Kirkpatrick