The Laurals/Ide Lodge
Ide Lodge as you might imagine from the name stands right on the border of the Alphington Parish and Ide. The residence seems to have been called The Laurals in the 1800s, which is really confusing as there was also a house in Church Road called The Laurals before it was renamed St Martin's Lodge.
A description of Ide Lodge written in the early 1920s recorded a large house with extensive grounds and land.
The second floor of the residence consisted of four bedrooms and the first floor five bedrooms.
There were both a front staircase and a back staircase. The ground floor consisted of an entrance porch and hall, dining and drawing rooms, larder, garden or gun room, housemaids cupboard and other servants facilities, kitchen with a range, pantry, scullery with furnace and boiler.
At the back of the house were coal and boot houses and an iron-roofed pump house. Under the front of house was a wine cellar and an extensive coal cellar.
Outside there was stabling in an enclosed yard with two loose boxes, three stalls with a loft over and a combined carriage house and harness room. Slightly removed from the stable yard stood a piggery and a wood shed.
The grounds were described as being beautifully timbered and shrubbed. There was a sloping lawn in front of the residence. There were also flower boarders, a fruit garden and a walled fruit and vegetable garden, a detached orchard, a grass paddock and a full-sized tennis lawn.
Residents recorded at the house were:
1828 and 1835 James Miller Esq.
1841 William Browning and his family, William was recorded as living from independent means.
1851 John Browning and his family, John was a major land owner in the village and was recorded as living from independent means.
1861 Emily Rautley, Emily was recorded as the wife of an hotel proprietor.
1871, 1881, 1891 John D. Bassett and his family, John was recorded as a retired physician.
1902 George William Jackson.
1911 Katherine Evelyn Dalzell and her children, Katherine was recorded as living from independent means.
1920 Captain Geoffrey Mackworth DSO R.N.
Over the years a host of staff were employed to look after the house and grounds, such as cooks, house maids, gardeners, grooms and coachmen.
Copyright © Rowena Kirkpatrick