Alphington's Farms at the end of the Parish

Wheatley Farm

The Alphington Tithe Map records Wheatley Farm owned by John Browning and the occupier and farmer was William Esworthy. Records from 1857 show Edward and William White as the occupiers and farmers. From the early 1860s until 1911 Robert White was the farmer. The farm land covered over 130 acres and consisted of gardens, copses, a withy bed, orchards, pasture and arable fields. There were several farm cottages for the workers, besides the general farm labours in the early 1900s a cowman, a horseman and a blacksmith were employed.

Other records state:
From the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 16th October 1863. 'October 10th 1863 at Wheatley Farm Alphington the wife of Mr Robert White of a son still born.'
From the Western Times 28th September 1866 and also the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette. 'September 13th 1866 at Wheatley Farm the wife of Robert White a daughter.'
1871 owner of Wheatley Farm Anthony Gibbs.
16th March 1899 sale of grass at Wheatley Farm.
5th July 1907 sale of Wheatley Farm.
In 1911 Frank Reed was recorded as the farmer.
Some records name the farm Whidley and a map from 1809 records a district and farm as Whitely.

Andrews Farm

The acreage of this farm increases over the years according to records. Robert Hodge is recorded as farming 48 acres in the 1840s and 1850s; in 1857 Thomas Letheren took over the 48 acres. In the 1870s Thomas was recorded as farming 150 acres and in the 1880s 170 acres when he was employing six men. Tithe Map records show Robert Hodge renting two gardens, two orchards, nine arable and six pasture meadows.

Webby's Farm

The farm appears to have been named after the Webby family and a Samuel Webby is recorded as the farmer in the mid 1700s or possibly in the early 1600s. Samuel Phillips was the farmer in the 1840s and a record from 1847 shows him still farm at the age of 81. Thomas Prout was recorded as an agricultural labourer and shepherd in the 1870s and 1880s seemingly residing in a farm cottage as the actual old farm house appears to be uninhabited. John Brealey was farming the land in the 1890s and on the 5th July 1907 a sale of the farm is recorded. In 1911 Edward Hawkins is the farmer.

On a map dated 1809 the farm/area is recorded as Web-hayes.

Pole House Farm

The land of Pole House Farm covered approximately 50 acres and there were at least three cottages for the farm workers. Tithe Map records show the land owner and occupier of the 'Pole House Estate' as John Hedgeman. The land was recorded as having one garden, two orchards, two pasture meadows and 8 arable meadows. Dorothy Hedgeman, presumably the wife of John, was the farmer through the 1840s, 1850s and early 1860s. An obituary appeared in the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette dated 28th August 1863 'Mrs Dorothy Hedgeman late of Pole House Farm Alphington aged 67 much respected.' In 1872 W. H. Walrond or Walbrond Esq was recorded as the farmer.

Mark's Farm

The name Mark's Farm appears to come from the Markes family, William Markes is recorded as the farmer possibly back in the early 1600s. The farm land covered approximately 100 acres and at least one farm cottage is recorded for a farm labourer. Several other farmers are recorded at the farm: John Carter in the 1840s, William Esworthy in the 1850s John Joint in the 1870s and 1880s, John Hutchings in the 1890s and in the very early 1900s. Tithe Map records show John Carter having one garden, one nursery, five orchards, four pasture meadows and 15 arable meadows. Records show a sale of the farm on the 5th July 1907 and in 1911 Herbert John Stevens, a builder and contractor was recorded as the resident.

Pocombe Farm/Pocombe Bridge Farm

A record from the London Gazette of 1830 states 'William Baker heretofore of Pocombe Bridge Farm'. The farm land covered approximately 112 acres and records show there were at least two cottages for farm labourers. James Waters farmed the land through the 1850s, 1860s and 1870s until 1878 when a record shows Thomas and Matthew Waters as the occupiers. By 1881 Robert Guscott was in residence. Records from 1911 show William Henry Quick running Pocombe Dairy and Sydney Brown a farm labourer living in Pocombe cottage possibly showing that the farm now concentrated on dairy products.

 


e&oe


Home




Copyright © Rowena Kirkpatrick