Lamp Cottage and other cottages situated between The Bell Inn and Caroline Place
The Tithe and other old maps show us Lamp Cottage (and the Bell Inn) with numerous out-buildings behind them; a smithy is marked in one of these outbuilding. After Lamp Cottage cottages and shops are marked numbering anything from nine to 12 with several more situated behind the main ones fronting the Chudleigh Road.
Lamp Cottage has some historical notes, it was thought staff from the Bell Inn watched from its 'bow' windows to see when the coaches were arriving so that fresh horses could be made ready. I often wonder why it was called Lamp Cottage, perhaps coach lamps were stored there, just a thought. In 1828 James Calder, an apothecary, resided there. Lamp Cottage was the only residence named in records from the 1840s and the resident was James Howard. Interestingly, James was a surveyor of turnpike Roads and a 'turnpike point' was thought to have existed not too far up the road from the Bell Inn.
1850s: John possibly Manley, Lieut. Royal Navy; William Loram, butcher; uninhabited cottage; George Paynes, cordwainder; John Maynes, ag. lab.; Henry Bastin, smith and wheelwright; uninhabited cottage; Mary Sibley; Mary Wright; John Pedlar, gardener; William Paynes, gardener; Richard Coles, carpenter; John Langford, carpenter; Robert Stone, shopkeeper, indicating this was a shop.
1860s: Lamp Cottage, Thomas Langford, farmer; Swiss Cottage, Elizabeth Harding, landed proprietor; Sarah Blacke; John Nicks, shepherd; Harrett Bastin, dressmaker; Mary Esworthy, needlewoman; Elizabeth Smith; John Furze, ag. lab.; Simon Hooper, ag. lab.; Elizabeth Rowe, laundress; Bakers Shop, John Gater, baker; Richard Lear?, blacksmith; William Gilpin, mason; Betty Nicks; John Langsford, carpenter; Robert Stone, grocer, indicating a shop.
1870s: Herman Langsford, farmer; James Hargreaves, later innkeeper; Salomia? Lear, school mistress; Swiss Cottage, 1. Elizabeth Harding, 2. Albert J. Hartnell, insurance agent; Richard Perkins, wheelwright; Harriett Bastin, needlewoman; Ann Carpenter, charwoman; Simon Hooper, ag. lab.; George Cochran, police constable; Elizabeth Rowe, nurse; George Furse, farmer; John ? ag. lab.; John ?, ag. lab; James Milford, farmer; Albert ?, telegraph clerk; Thomas Channon, baker; William Gilpin, mason; Augustus Coles; James Carpenter, bricklayer; Ann Wood, haberdasher, indicating a shop; Elizabeth ?, school teacher; Henry ?, gardener; Henry Stone, shop keeper, indicating a shop.
1880s: Lamp Cottage, George Hutchings, butcher; Swiss Cottage, 1. Elizabeth Harding (daughter of previous Elizabeth), 2. Laura Way; William Perkins, carpenter's labourer; James Milford, ag. lab; William Preston, ag. lab. ; John Furze, ag. lab.; Elisth. Rowe, charwoman; Saml. Seldon, wood ranger; Bakers shop, Adrian J. Scanes, baker, indicating a bakers shop; Harriett Gilpin; George Bowden, tanners labourer and annuitant; Thomas H. Perkins, wheelwright's labourer and rural letter carrier; Milliners Shop, Ann Wood; Grocers Shop, James P. Smith grocer and foreman on coal depot.
1890s: Lamp Cottage, 1. Walter Perkins, wheel wright, 2. George Davey, footman; Swiss Cottage, 1. Laura Way; Mary Ann Harding (sister of Elizabeth); Scanes Court, William Perkins, carpenter and joiner, Scanes Court , Jane Manley; Scanes Cottages, William H. Snell, gardener; James, mason's labourer' John Miller, ag. lab.; Samuel Sheldon, ag. lab.; Samuel Finnimore, tanner's labourer; The Old Bakery, Adrian J. Scanes, baker, indicating a bakers shop; Henry James, ag. lab.; Harriet Gilpin, own means; Hoope Cottage, William Blanchford, miller.
1900s: Lamp Cottage, 1. Richard J. Perkins, wheelwright?, 2. Grace Perkins, own means; Swiss Cottage, 1. Laura Way, own means, 2. Mary A. Harding, own means; Samuel Stocker, lawyer; John Rumberlow, railway carrier; The Cottage, Charles Osborn, gardener; William West, gen. labourer; Sexton Cottage, John Hooper, blacksmith; The Bakery, Adrian J. Scanes, baker/shopkeeper, indicating a bakers shop; Edward Rogers, builder's labourer; Ellen Rogers, laundress; Hoop Cottage, Eliza Blanchford, shopkeeper indicating a shop.
On the 13th February 1909 a fire started in Scanes Bakery and went through the other cottages destroying three of them and leaving 40 people homeless, the fire also destroyed a roof of a shop. A servant girl in the big house opposite the Admiral Vernon Inn (previously the Bell Inn) raised the alarm but it took a while for the fire engines to arrive as the fire fighters were playing football in Raglands Field at the time. A row of new cottages were built to replace the burnt down and badly damaged cottages.
1911: Lamp Cottage, 1. William Perkins, carpenter, 2. William Edmond Perkis, wheelwright; Swiss Cottage, Ernest Ellis, coach builder; Scanes Cottages 1. Fred Connett, gardener, 2. Charles Acton, bootmaker, 3. Charles Densham, farm labourer, 4. Frederick Eagar, lunatic asylum attendant, 5. Frank Lucas, rural postman, 6. William West tanner's labourer; Cuddifords, James Milford, farm labourer; Old Baker, William Budd, market gardener; Retreat, Richard Cann; Retreat Ernest England, asylum attendant; Upton Cottage, Ellen Rogers, laundress.
Copyright © Rowena Kirkpatrick