Cartwheels (Flint Cottages) and Bartlett's
Records show that Flint Cottage[s] was a cob and timber farmhouse that was built in the 15th Century. It was thought to have been built into the church wall so that villagers could not look into the inside of the residence.
Frosted glass was said to have been installed in the back of the building so that residents could not look into The Rectory.
Just inside the garden entrance/gateway in the front garden there was a well which supplied villagers with water.
In the 1970s human bones were found underneath the floor, the bones were found to be 200 years old.
Records show that the Toms family lived in the cottage from at least 1841, Henry Toms was a cooper and also recorded as a Parish Clerk in 1850. In 1881 the Cottage was recorded as two Cottages with Fanny Toms, Henry's widow, living in one cottage and her son, Frederick, and family living in the second cottage. In 1891 the Stone family are in residence and Hermon Stone was a gardener. In 1946 and 1949 F. Rogers was the resident.
A little further up Chudleigh Road more or less next door to Flint Cottage[s] stands Bartlett's. From the name I think we can safely assume that it once belonged to the Bartlett family and records show a William Bartlett marrying Mary Bennett on the 1st November 1659. Two christenings are also recorded: Rebekah Bartlett in 1677 and Eliz Bartlett on the 24th May 1725.
Land Tax Redemption records for 1798 show 'Mr Bartlett £4 7s ½d'.
From the Alphington Tithe Map the house and lands were owned by John Nott, an orchard and garden were let to Revd. Michael Ellicombe.
John Knott (now spelt with a K) was recorded at Bartlett's both in 1841 and 1851 where his full name of John Ashford Knott and was given and he was described as a proprietor of houses and land. In 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891 his son Samuel Dyer Knott was residing in the house his occupation was given as a solicitor's clerk but he had retired some where between 1871 and 1881 and was living on his own means. Samuel died in 1899 and the house was taken over by Augustine L. Laning a veterinary surgeon. In 1902 and 1911 Ernest Septimus Dixon, also a veterinary surgeon was residing in the house. In 1946 and 1040 the resident was S. Densham.
Copyright © Rowena Kirkpatrick