Newlands was described in the early 1920s as being built of stuccoed stone and having a slate roof.
The first floor was approached by a principal and secondary staircase and there were seven bedrooms and two bathrooms.
The ground floor had an entrance hall, small lounge, well proportioned dining and drawing rooms and a large billard room. There was also a kitchen, domestic offices and good cellars.
Outside stabling consisted of loose box, stall, harness room and a garage. There were two greenhouses and potting and tool sheds.
The grounds were described as 'exceptionally attractive gardens' being 'beautifully timbered and shrubbed with specimen trees and bushes'. Convenient paths gave 'picturesque walks'. Other garden features were flower beds, a tennis lawn, a delightfully shaded rock fern garden with winding paths, a wishing well and fruit and vegetable gardens.
The whole area covered just over an acre.
The Alphington Tithe Map records Ann Russell as the owner of Newlands and Hugh Underhill as the occupier. Records for 1841 and 1851 show a Hugh Underhill working as a Dairyman and employing several staff.
In 1871 Robert J Gray, an accountant, was living in the house with his family. In 1881 records show him continuing to live there with his wife and three children, at this time he was working as the assistant secretary at the West of England Labour Office. A cook and housemaid were employed by the family.
In 1901 Miss Sarah E. Milford, living on her own means, had taken up residence at the house. She employed a cook, a parlour maid and a gardener.
In 1911 Frederick Templer Depree, the Chairman of a gas engineering company' was recorded at the house with his family. They employed a cook and parlour maid. A record in the London Gazette dated 13th August 1886 showed a Gold and Silversmiths, Jeweller's and Clock and Watch Makers Comany, Ellis, Depree and Tucker, was dissolved on the 24th June 1886 and Frederick took over the company and ran it on his own. This also happened with a second firm, Depree, Raeburn and Young, which was dissolved on the 31st March 1908 and was then taken over and run by Frederick and John Young. This was recorded in the London Gazette dated 27th March 1908.
Other posts that Frederick held were: (1) 1884 Master of the Joined Gild of Weavers Tuckers and Shearmen of Exeter; (2) 1895/1898 Sheriff/Mayor of Exeter; (3) 1896 Director of the Devon and Exeter Turkish Bath Co. Ltd; (4) Chairman of Willey and Co.
Copyright © Rowena Kirkpatrick