The earliest reference to Buscoves that I found was an apprentice recorded dated 1767 where Thomas Rennells was apprenticed to Thomas Herd for Buscoves in husbandry.
Revd. Samuel Cake set up a school for the sons of gentlemen in Alphington in 1788. In 1799 Johanne Elliott aged 9 was apprenticed to Revd. Samuel Cake for an Estate called Buscoves in husbandry. In 1807 Johanne was discharged as Revd. Cake had left the Parish without making any provision for his apprentice.
Buscoves the bakery cottage one
The bakers were as follows: 1841 Alfred White; 1851 George possibly piper; 1871 James Wheeler; 1881 Robert Williams; 1891 Daniel Hatswell; 1901 Elizabeth, Daniel's wife; 1911 Fred Hatswell, their son. In 1911 the cottage was described as part of Buscoves with six rooms. In 1922 the bakery was let to Ida Hatswell, Fred's wife. Records for 1946 show Mrs Ida Hatswell continuing to run the bakery but in 1949 P. L. W. Carr is recorded as baker and confectioner. It is thought that Charles Dickens was a customer at the bakery showing a bakery was there during the 1830s. The cottage had four bedrooms, a parlour, bakers shop, bakehouse with oven with flour loft over, kitchen with range, wash house with furnace and boiler and a coal house. At the back was a large yard with a pump, brick built and tiled van house, a forage house, a two-stalled stable, a piggery and closet and also a walled garden.
Buscoves a shop, later a post office, later a newsagents cottage two
In 1841 the cottage housed seven residents. In 1871 William Banks a master tailor and his family resided in the cottage. In 1881 the cottage had become the village post office and was run by James Maunder, he was continuing to run the post office in 1911 when the cottage was described as a part of Buscoves with eight rooms. In 1922 the post office was let to Mrs G. T. Gasson and the cottage had four bedrooms, a post office, a sorting room, two sitting rooms, a scullery with a closet and a garden at the back. There was an entrance to the sorting office at the side of the building. In 1946 and 1949 F. W. Cox was recorded as running a newsagents from the premises.
Buscoves second part
In 1841 John Paty/Patty a gardener lived in the cottage with his family. In 1871 Thomas Brewer a national school master was residing there with his wife, nee Paty/Patty, who at one time had been a tea dealer and ran a grocers shop. In 1881 Samuel Edgecombe a millers labourer and dairyman lived in the cottage with his family, records show him there in 1891, 1901 and 1911 where the cottage was described as part of Buscoves with five rooms. In 1922 the cottage was numbered as number two Buscoves and was let to Mrs C. Edgecombe, the wife of Samuel, the cottage had three bedrooms, a parlour, a kitchen with a range, a pantry a cupboard a wash house with a furnace and boiler, a closet and a garden at the back of the property. At a later date Susan Jane Edgecombe was the resident. Records from 1946 show Mrs Beer as the resident and then in 1949 P. H. Jago.
Records show John Paty/Patty, the son of John Paty next door, living in this part of Buscoves and running a market garden. Records show John Paty Snr. Marrying Mary Turner on the 13th February 1798. Their children were: Mary Ann christened in September 1798 died on the 5th November 1801; Hannah christened on the 9th March 1800; Mary christened on the 18th July 1802, married John Nunn; Hannah christened on the 5th August 1804 married Thomas Stancombe; John christened on the 31st August 1806, died on the 18th March 1807; William christened on the 24th April 1808; and Francis christened on the 14th February 1813. One village burial record states John Paty 4th September 1884 aged 69.
In 1891, 1901, 1911 and 1922 records show Frederick J. Pike running the market garden and living in Buscoves with his family. In 1922 the cottage was described as Buscoves and had four bedrooms, a parlour, a kitchen with a range, a larder, a scullery with a furnace and boiler and a closet. The total area of the market garden was 4a 1r 2p and was let to Mr F. Pike. Burial records show Louisa his wife 11th December 1904 aged 42 and for Frederick 4th June 1927 aged 68.
Fredericks son, Arthur, took over the market garden and lived in Buscoves. Possibly during the 1930s he built Buscoves House in the grounds. Arthur knew that the near by Alphin Brook was prone to flooding but he had never seen it go over the top of the hump backed bridge so he had the house built with the first floor at the same level of the bridge top. Steps led up to the front door of the house. The flood waters in 1960 reached to the top step but did not enter the house. Cousins of the Pike family, the Gulley's, who now lived in Buscoves Cottage was flooded to a depth of three or four feet.
The Pike family had a cart horse called Tidy who pulled the plough and wagons until the tractor and lorry took over.
Buscoves House was demolished in 1969 to make way for Brookfield Gardens.
Frederick's father was James Pike who was born in Alphington in about 1815, he married Mary Ann. Records show them living in Ide Lane in 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881. James' trade was a thatcher but in 1881 he was also recorded as a market gardener. James father was John Pike born in about 1781 in Shobrooke, he married Sarah (Sally) Helmore on the 22nd May 1803 and they lived in Alphington but John died in Newton Abbott in 1867. John's father was another John Pike who was born in about 1760 he married Elizabeth Crooke.
Copyright © Rowena Kirkpatrick