The Red Lion public house/Red Lion Cottages later Sobey's Cottages
including The Chilley's and cottages

Plan of the situtions of the cottages in this article

Site of
Church House/
Admiral Vernon.
Admiral Vernon Cottage.

Red Lion Cottage.

Sobey's Cottage.
Red Lion Cottage.

Sobey's Cottage.
Red Lion Cottage.

uninhabited 1901.

Sobey's Cottage.
Red Lion Cottage.

uninhabited 1901.

Sobey's Cottage.
Skinner's Cottage.

Red Lion public house.

Red Lion Cottage.

Sobey's Cottage.
Bowden's Cottage.

Searle's Cottage.

Red Lion Cottage.

Sobey's Cottage.
Chilley's Cottage.

possibly
Wippel's Court.
Chilley's Cottage.

possibly
Wippel's Court.
Chilley's Cottage.

possibly
Wippel's Court.
The Chilley's.

possibly
Wippel's Court.

Prior to 1754 the Red Lion Public House was in the tenure of a William Skinner and known as Skinner's Cottage. From Alphington Parish records a William Skinner was christened on the 9th February 1667 his father was William, another William was christened on the 8th May 1723 his father was John. One other record showed a William Skinner marring Debora Abbott on the 13th July 1713 and a William was recorded in death/burial records for 1721. It is uncertain which William had the tenure of Skinner's Cottage before it was transferred to James Sarell/Sarel. The Devon Estate Survey dated 1754 records Thomas Sarell as the licensee of the Red Lion Public House. A rental record from 1770 shows Thomas Sarell at the house and garden formerly Skinner's now the Red Lion Public House.

James was born in Alphington in 1688, married Ellenor Goldsworthy (b.1687) on the 30th January 1708 and died in 1739. Their children were Ellenor 1711-1711, James b. 1712, Thomas b. 12th October 1718-1774 and George b. 1719.

Their second son Thomas married Mary Andrews on the 12nd October 1742. Their children were Ann b. 1748, Dorothy 1748-1800, Mary b. 1749 and Thomas b. 1752. Thomas was a church warden as can be seen from records recording the inscriptions on two of the eight Alphington church bells that were recast from the original five bells in 1749. The inscriptions read: on bell one Edward Collyns Esq and Mr Thomas Sarell church wardens, William Hayne gent; on bell eight The Reverend Mr John Pitman, Edward Collyns Esq gent and Mr Thomas Sarell church wardens, William Hayne gent.


Sobey's Cottages and The Chilley's and cottages
Copyright © Rowena Kirkpatrick

In 1773 records show a lease and counterpart from William Viscount Courtenay to Thomas Sarell yeoman for the cottage formerly Skinner's now the Red Lion Public House for the life of Mary Sarell daughter of lessee in reversion of the lives of himself and of Mary Sarell his wife.

In 1779 an assignment record showed Mary Sarell of Alphington widow and executrix of Thomas Sarell, and William Hawking and Mary his wife (daughter and legatee of Thomas Sarell) to George Bodley of Alphington gent.

In 1784 a second assignment record showed George Bodley of Alphington to William Blatchford of Alphington victualler the cottage formerly in the tenure of William Skinner, James Sarell and Thomas Sarell now a public house called the Red Lion.

A record dated 1785 showed the lease and counterpart from William Viscount Courtenay to William Blatchford of Alphington a basket maker the cottage formerly Skinner's now the Red Lion Public House for the lives of William Blatchford and Theophilus Blatchford sons of the lessee in reversion of Mary Hawkins wife of William Hawkins of Plymouth Dock, stone cutter and daughter of Thomas Sarell.

In 1793 an assignment was recorded passing the Red Lion Public House from William Blatchford of Alphington, victualler and basket maker to James Wippell of Alphington a maltster. The cottage was similarly described as formerly Skinner's and lately a public house called the Red Lion.

In 1796 lease and counterpart documentation stated William Viscount Courtenay to James Wippell of Alphington a maltster the cottage formerly Skinner's and lately a public house called the Red Lion for the life of the lessee in reversion of Mary Hawkins and of William Blatchford junior for the lives of William Wippell son of William Wippell of Thorverton yeoman, of John Wippell son of the leseee and of James Sharland son of John Sharland of Exeter.

Other Records confirm the following:
1777 Mary Sarell - the Red Lion
1779 George Bodley - the Red Lion
1785 Wm Blatchford - the Red Lion
1795 James Wippell - the Red Lion
1811 James Wippell - the Cottage formerly the Red Lion
1835 from the Alphington Survey John Wippell at the house and garden formerly the Red Lion, formerly Skinner's

The next record was a surrender dated 1873 and the following were cited: Thomas Wippell of Alphington tanner; Joseph Toms of Torquay builder and Ellen his wife; James Wippell of Tarlington Hants agriculturalist and Mary Ann his wife; James Sharland of Totnes spinster; Peter Sharland of Adelaid Australia gent; William Sharland Adelaid draper and William Knapman of Totnes draper to William Reginald Earl of Devon cottage once Skinner's now a public house called the Red Lion and cottage once Searle's in Alphington. The record also reciles leases of 1826 for the former Red Lion and of 1833 for Searle's Cottage and that a new lease is to be granted for 63 years as from September 1872 at £10 5s rent.

Searle's Cottage was situated between the Red Lion public house and Chilley's tenement and this cottage was also leased to Thomas Sarell as can be confirmed by the following record from 1773. Lease from William Viscount Courtenay to Thomas Sarell of Alphington yeoman, Searle's late Bowden's Cottage lying between The Red Lion and a cottage and garden part of Chilley's tenement in Alphington now leased for the lives of John Chapple of Kenton bricklayer, Dorothy his wife (daughter of Thomas Sarell) and Thomas their son. Dorothy Sarell married John Chapple on the 15th July 1765.

The Bowden family were recorded in Alphington in the early to mid 1600s. The Searle family were recorded in the village in the late 1600s and more so during the 1700 and 1800s.

Two assignment records showed, (1) mortgage by assignment of lease Mary Sarell widow of Thomas Sarell, Mary Sarell spinster, John Chapple of Kenton and Dorothy his wife to William Mance of St Mary Steps Exeter victualler Searle's Cottage Alphington but not Chilley's tenement. (2) assignment (a) Charles Hiddey of Ottery St Mary tailor as executor of John Glenville of Exeter gent (b) Richard Eales of Exeter gent (c) George Heyle Balle of Exeter baker (d) James Wippell of Alphington malt maker Searle's Cottage Alphington.

In 1808 a lease and counterpart from William Viscount Courtenay and trustees to James Wippell Alphington Maltster to James Wippell Alphington maltster showed Searle's late Bowden's Cottage now in possession of James Wippell for lives of James Wippell younger son of James Wippell in reversion of lives of John Chapple and Thomas Chapple. A lease and counterpart dated 1832 recorded William Earl of Devon and his trustee's to James Wippell of Alphington maltster Searle's Cottage for lives of James Wippell the younger, Charles Richard Ellicombe son of the Rector of Alphington and John Sharland grandson of the leassee.

Parish records show a christening for Thomas Wippell on the 13th March 1827 and his parents were James and Ann Wippell and then a marriage for Thomas Wippell to Elizabeth Rew at St Thomas in 1858. Records for 1861 recorded Thomas Wippell aged 34 his occupation a tanner employing four men, his wife Elizabeth is 22 and they have one son Thomas. In 1871 Thomas is employing eight men and one boy and his company is named as Wippell and Rew. In 1881 Thomas is employing 14 men his son Thomas is working as a tanner. There are three daughters in the family, Annie 19, Edith 17 and Bertha 15. The family did not reside in Red Lion Cottage but at Bridge House situated a very short distance from the cottage.

Records for 1841 to 1861 do not name the cottages and it is impossible to be absolutely sure who lived in them. However, records for the fire in Church House/Admiral Vernon on the 15th September 1871 states the Fry, Nosworthy and Buckpitt families were living in the cottages that were destroyed/damaged beyond repair. In 1861 John Nosworthy and his family and Richard Fry a butcher and his family are recorded as living either side of the Admiral Vernon. Richard's cottage was named Admiral Vernon cottage and I believe this one could have been one of the Red Lion cottages in later records. In 1871 John Nosworthy, Robert Buckpitt and Richard Fry and their families are recorded as living in the first quarter of the year either side of the public house. From these 1871 records other residents of the Red Lion cottages could have been as follows: cottage two Samuel Crump a gardener and his family also his son-in-law John Rowe a gardener and his family; cottage three James Horsvill a carter and his family; cottage four Richard Carter a telegraph clerk; cottage five John Rich a wheelwright and his family and Charles Weeks a painter and glazier and his family; cottage six John Wippel a retired maltster. The following cottages were named as Wippell's Court and these were possibly The Chilley's the families recorded in these cottages were the Hexter's and the Lamb's.

The records for 1881 do not name the cottages so once again it is hard to be sure who lived in them.

In records for 1891 it seems that The Chilleys/Chilley's Cottages were now named Red Lion Cottages. The families residing in the cottages were as follows: cottage one William H. Stone a station engine driver and his wife and four children; cottage two John Bowles a tanner's labourer and his wife and five children; cottage three William Moxey a tanner's labourer and his wife and three children; cottage four Samuel Robertson a tanner's labourer and his wife and five children; cottage five James Burridge a labourer and his wife and nine children; cottage six Richard Mitchell a labourer and his wife and five children; cottage seven John Rice a wheelwright and his wife one child and father-in-law; cottage eight James Rice police constable and his wife and four children; cottage nine Elizabeth Rowe a laundress and her three children; cottage ten Augustus Coles and his wife.

In 1901 two cottages which replaced the residences damaged in the fire of 1871 were recorded as Sobey's Cottages and the residents were: at cottage one Edward J Rowland a policeman and his wife and son; at cottage two Walter J Osbourne and his wife and three children. No information was given for the next two cottages in Census records so I assume they were uninhabited. Cottage five was recorded as Skinner's Cottage and Richard Mitchell, his wife and five children lived there. Cottage six was recorded as Red Lion Cottage and inhabited by Elizabeth Robertson and her three children. The Chilley's were recorded as four separate dwellings the occupiers were as follows: cottage one William Symons a jeweller and his sister; cottage two Elizabeth New and Emily Toby living on their own means; cottage three William Moxey a labourer and his children and in cottage four John Knot a pensioner and his wife.

Between the Census records of 1901 and 1911 the remaining Red Lion Cottages were demolished and replaced with the brick and slate houses that can be seen today.

In 1911 the cottages were recorded as Sobey's Cottages and the families that resident in them were: cottage one Mark Wills a police constable and his wife and child; cottage two Walter John Osborne an estate carpenter and his wife and three children; cottage three Richard Mitchell a tanner's labourer and his wife and five children; cottage four James Drew a market gardener and his wife and child; cottage five Samuel Robertson a leather dresser and his wife and two children; cottage six William Harris a labourer and his wife and four children. The Chilley's in 1911 was recorded as follows: part of Chilley's four rooms William Wyatt Mildon a stone mason; part of Chilley's four rooms William Moxey a labourer in a tan yard and his wife; part of Chilley's two rooms Sarah Coles living from private means and The Chilley's five rooms William Symons a retired jeweller and his house keeper.

In 1922 The Chilley's was divided into three residences with The Chilley's occupied by Miss M. L. M. Murray and one and two Chilley's Cottages occupied by Messrs Moxey and Merryfield.

In 1950 records for Sobey's Cottages show Mr M. Wills residing in cottage one (from 31st December 1908); Mr N. G. Osborne residing in cottage two (from 22nd January 1946); Mr P. S. Dadd held the tenancy of cottage three (from the 3rd November 1927); Mrs B. Melhuish residing in cottage four (from 1st October 1945); Mrs G. E. James residing in cottage five (from 27th September 1914) and cottage six was held by the representatives of Mr W. Harris.

The early history of The Chilley's

I could not find any birth, marriage or death records for the Chilley family in Alphington but I did for Ide, the three records are as follows: John Chilley married Sarah Pidgellee on the 2nd February 1701; Thomas Chilley was christened on the 9th April 1707 father Thomas and John Chilley was christened on the 8th May 1709 father John.

The Devon Estate Survey dated 1711 shows John Chilley as a conventionary tenant of The Chilley's (conventionary, fixed by convention not by custom).

Devon free holder's lists dated 1718, 1720, 1722, 1725, 1727, 1729, 1735, 1736, 1738, 1739 and 1742 gives John Chilley yeoman of Ide as a freeholder.

Rental records dated 1770 shows Sam Symons renting The Chilley's.

Two apprentice records states in 1787 Frances Brown as apprenticed to Jonathan Payne of The Chilley's in housewifery. In 1793 Ann Brewer was apprenticed to Jonathan Payne of The Chilley's. After five years Jonathan moved to Whitestone.

A document dated 27th May 1830 shows parts of The Chilley's and the rentees as follows: Little Bridge Park, Jas Wipple and Thomas Stad; Doomsday formerly willowbed, Jas Wipple and Thomas Stad; Stooks formerly willow bed, Jas Wippell and Thomas Stad; Little Helmore's Field, William Hutchings. Records show Thomas Stad Hutchings christened on the 1st January 1817 father William Hutchings mother Susanna. In 1853 Thomas is recorded with his wife and children at St Edmunds Exeter.


e&oe


Home




Copyright © Rowena Kirkpatrick