A Brief History of Alphington Methodist Church
Records show that at first worshippers met in various people's houses. In January 1807 they started meeting at Elizabeth Wilcocks house and in April 1818 they changed to Samuel Cazely's house.
In 1822 a room was rented for 7s per quarter but it was recorded that worshippers also met at Mr J. Pikes house in April 1824.
At midsummer in 1831 there were seven members and the first remittance of 4s 3½d was sent to the Quarter Board.
On 27th July 1835 a record states "Assignment of a portion of a garden from Joseph Mayne to Thomas Sercombe". A following record dated 18th March 1836 states "Assignment of piece of ground at Alphington for building a chapel or Sunday school house". This piece of ground was in Ide Lane.
An agreement dated September 1835 was drawn up for the building of walls of the chapel between John Carpenter, a mason, and John Westlake for the Trustees. The agreement stated "To erect and build with good hard stone and best lime and sand mortar all such walls as may be necessary and requisite for a school house about to be built at Alphington of not less than twenty inches in thickness . . . and also to raise on the said stone walls good and well tempered cob walls of not less than three bundles of straw to the perch". A perch measured 16½feet.
From a bill paid in 1836 we can see the building was called "Alphington Chapel".
In 1854 or 1855 100 children, 60 girls and 40 boys, attended the Sunday school. The average attendance was recorded as approximately 30 in the mornings and about 60 in the afternoons. There were six teachers. The reward for the year was five bibles, six testaments and nine Wesleyan hymn books. There was a small library of 70 books which the children could borrow for one farthing a week.
In 1838 the Rev. Jos Wood was appointed Superintendent Minister.
Unfortunately, Alphington Chapel was burdened with debt and was forced to close in 1866, the last service being held in October of that year.
In about 1880 the Prayer Leaders Society and a few devoted friends started a school and service in cottages near Ide Lane.
Records show that meetings were held in John Perryman's house from March 1882.
Land, in what is now Chapel Road, was leased from the Devon Estate. Mr Samuel Steer and others had this new chapel site from Christmas 1894 for a term of 99 years and the chapel was built in 1895. This new chapel appeared on the plan on Saturday 16th November 1895 the day that the chapel opened. In February 1905 scholars, teachers and friends had a tea. Scholars received prizes, Mr Bell put on a lantern show and Mr Fred Loram gave a reading.
From research carried out in libraries, studies libraries, old Parish magazines and Mr Powesland's Alphington Methodist Church Centenary booklet.
Copyright © Rowena Kirkpatrick