Exe View House and Exe View Cottage
Exe View House was built in 1730 and was extended in 1820. Prisoners were once kept in cells situated on the lower floor of the building. The prisoners were lead from these cells through a tunnel, which can still be seen today, into Hangman's Lane, called Markham's Lane today. The prisoners were walked up the lane to Four Way Cross situated where Hangman's Lane, Markham's Lane and the Shillingford Road met; here the prisoners were hung from an old Oak tree. Their bodies were brought back down Hangman's Lane and buried in the fields opposite Exe View House. The hangman is thought to have lived in Exe View Cottage which at the time was two separate cottages. Hangman's Lane itself is thought to have been a medieval route. The footpath leading from Matford and joins the Chudleigh Road opposite Hangman's Lane is a medieval route and it makes sense for this route to continue to Four Way Cross and may be beyond.
On some sales plans Exe View House and Exe View Cottage is shown as one plot. From Alphington's Tithe Map Exe View is owned and occupied by Thomas Hussey an auctioneer. He moved to Waybrook before 1841.
In 1851 Percival Brown aged 56 of the 62nd Foot is recorded as living in the cottage with his wife, a general servant was also in residence. The 62nd Foot was formed in 1756 from a battalion of the 4th Regiment of Foot. In 1762 it was renamed to the 62nd (Wiltshire) Regiment of Foot. The regiment saw action in the American War of Independence, the Napoleonic Wars-Peninsular Wars and the Crimean War. Records for Percival Brown show him as a half pay Brigadier of the 62nd Foot Regiment born in Beverley, Yorkshire in 1795 or 1798. The London Gazette dated 12th November 1858 records 'Lieutenant-Colonel Percival Brown half pay 62nd Foot Commissions date 26th October 1858'. In 1861 Percival was living in Ryde, Hants and was recorded as 'Br. Colonel 62nd Foot. Percival died on the 15th October 1872 in Exeter.
In 1861 William R. Galbreth a council engineer from Stirling, Scotland is recorded at Exe View House. His sister was his house keeper and he employed a general servant and groom.
Another record gives us an insight to more residents of Exe View: 'Major Reginald Vincent Kempenfeldt Applin DSO 14th (Kings) Hussar's b. Exe View Alphington 11th April 1869 son of Captain Vincent Jesson Applin and Agnes Stanley Inocentia Ferreia'. Reginald married Beatrice Caroline Buchan or Bather of Shropshire on the 6th April 1902. The family moved to Dawlish before the next Census record.
In both 1871 and 1881 Edward M. Brownlow and his wife Lucy were shown to be residing at Exe View House. A cook, a parlour maid, a house maid and a groom and gardener were employed. Edward died on the 14th February 1890 and in 1891 Lucy was living in Southernhay, she died on the 3rd November 1895.
Exe View Cottage
In 1871 William B. Elliott a retired merchant, John Candy a labourer and his family were living in Exe View Cottage.
In 1881 John Warren, a gardener, and his family were in residence.
In 1891 there were only staff recorded in both residences: Exe View House a cook and parlour maid; Exe View Cottage Frederick J. Davey, a groom and gardener, and his family.
A record dated 5th November 1895 shows another past resident: 'Mrs Lucy Maxwell formerly of Exe View Alphington aged 60 was found drowned in a pond at Kew gardens'.
In 1901 Henry Salisbury and his family were recorded at Exe View.
Deeds and Conveyance records show Richard and Elizabeth Mitchell living in Exe View Cottage in 1916, 1919 and 1925. Records dated 1919 show the Conveyance from the owners Major Harry Blakie Brownlow and Ann to the new owners Mr Frederick Samuel Hex and Elizabeth Ellen Wippell Hex.
In 1946 and 1949 Fred Mitchell resided in Exe View Cottage and in 1939, 1946 and 1949 John Pearce Strong lived in Exe View House.
Copyright © Rowena Kirkpatrick